January 26, 2011
Interesting developments from middle east! However, I suspect more Iran are in making. Interesting part is Saudi Arabia is protecting Ben Ali, the ousted dictator, murder and crook — from Tunisia, just like they did will the mass murderer idi Amin of Uganda. May be Mubarak will also go there.
House of Saud is perhaps one of the most ugly thing in middle east. Wonder when they will stop protecting mass murders like Idi Amin and stop funding terrorist schools in Asia.
November 30, 2010
I was amazed to see Mr. Swapan Dasgupta being part of wash-up and ‘chor machae shor’ on NDTV. Initially, when the show began I tried to sympathize with Barkha thinking that she is just like any another person we meet who is drunk in his/her success and made a mistake without realizing the consequence of it.
However, the more I heard her the more I got convinced that it is more of a chor machae shor thing. I did not understood why Mr. Dasgupta did not stood up for the truth. May be because he was too polite. May be because he is also part of the elite 1984 type gang which decides what should be given as news to general gullible people. However, if this debate is the standard, then I am sorry to say my respect for news media has gone down exponentially. Although, there were positive signs too. At least in my opinion, two person came out as hope for media in this whole thing. One is of course editor of Open magzine, who asked lot of sensible question. Also, he needs to be respected because he did not behave as part of 1984 gang , who thinks that just because they won’t talk about it aam janta will forget about it. Another person was Sanjaya Baru, who called Barkha dutta bluff several times. Of course because, I respect opinion of Swapan dasgupta I was more disappointed with him. I expected a lot more from him. Here are my questions to him
- Why did not you objected when Barkha said her 15 year career was spot free? This is far from truth everyone knows Chetan Kunte’s story. She has this tendency of trying to control the story. She did not really managed to come clean in that episode.
- When she tried to question ethics of Open and Outlook magzine in publishing these tape, why did not you object? A few people seating at top cannot decide to censor such info from public. These tape even in mildest sense (if we give benefit of doubt to Barkha), gives an impression that Indian media is too cosy with politician-buisnessman nexus. If we do not give benefit of doubt, the tape definitely create an impression that it is politician-buisnessman-newsman nexus.
- I do not understand how Barkha can claim that open and Outlook has violated the ethical norm of not publishing raw tape. At best such supression of valid news is trying to hide each other crime. In the worst case, (what we saw for at least a week) if a valid news is blacked out it is the kind of moral corruption in the sense of 1984 ala Orwell.
- I am amazed how NDTV can claim that PR person of two of the largest buisness house in India contacting with one of big media house and asking its star reporter to act as conduit between govt and allies is such a minor story (with all hoopla going about telecom since formation of UPA II) that it did not bother to follow on lead. If they are really that dumb, I wonder how many head really rolled because of this mistake.
- Finally, at least I have not seen such extra moral consideration in previous sting operations! Is it because your own tribe is involved?
The points is aam aadmi is shocked with this censoring and media needs to come out clean on censor issue first.
November 19, 2010
It is at least 12 hour that Barkha dutta is caught in her true colours as political operative for Congress. However, it is amazing to see that mainstream Indian media is so much dedicated to the family that they have just censored this news. For those who missed this here is the link on youtube. Original site which broke the story is hacked by now and is out of net
October 3, 2010
Recently, I started watching a strange trend in India. The people who are very vocal in media and are touted as an expert are very often ideologically biased person with very low integrity. The situation seems to be same in almost same in all mode of life. One reason I can see is that very often Indian have very short memory span and if you keep on talking on something , after sometime people will accept you as a thinker. Pathetic example of such verbal diarrhoea includes Pankaj Mishra and Arundhati Roy. Today saw an article from Pankaj Mishra, who is self proclaimed expert on Indian poor, in Nytimes.
Well-to-do Indians fear that Hindu nationalists emboldened by the verdict on Ayodhya might scare off foreign investors. But it was Hindu nationalists who, coming to power in 1998 through successive bloody anti-Muslim campaigns, followed policies that expedited the country’s grossly uneven economic development and entrenched corporate special interests in India’s politics.
More fatefully, the Hindu nationalists exploded nuclear bombs underground and threatened Pakistan with all-out war, creating a legacy of hard-line nationalism — which the Indian military in Kashmir and successive governments in Delhi have embraced.
Somebody should tell this idiot that economic libralization was a good thing and was started not by BJP. As far as this issue is concerned their is a continuity in thinking of BJP and Congress. This is a very good thing , which I can understand that joker economists like him graduating from JNU fail to comprehand. Again they have no respect for public demand and think that Pokhran was bad thing imposed by a few.
October 1, 2010
What I can see after the judgement on Ram Janambhoomi is that people on street are happy and relieved but people sitting in TV rooms, media and so called thinkers are very sad. For them going back in time means stopping at 1992 and may be 1949. What a conveninent stopping point!
August 22, 2010
Today, Indian newspapers were celebrating rise of Indian middle class as pointed out by ADB. While the report was overall in positive tone, something looked very fishy to me.
Here is what timesof india and economics times has to say about the report
Only 0.0009% of Indians earn more than Rs 10,000 per month.
somebody must had imagined this data. According to economics times itself
In response to a Right to Information (RTI) query by seasoned RTI campaigner P. Hari Kumar, 24, of Kasaragod in north Kerala, the finance ministry has said that the number of taxpayers has increased from 28.4 million in 2002 to 31.5 million in 2006.
This number itself is 3 % and I think it is fair to assume that each tax payer represent atleast 2 people and a substantial portion of this population earns more than 20000 Rs. Thus, I do not see how the percent of Indian earning more than Rs 10000 was 0.0009 is year 2005. May be economics times and timesofindia should cross check what they report. Regarding original source ADB, I could not see this line in the original report available online.
August 17, 2010
This is one of the best sad song by Kishore da
August 14, 2010
Found this picture on facebook. It gave an impression that it is from movie Tere Bin ladan. Loving the sense of humor of creator. I do not know the source so can’t quote the original source really.